Thursday, July 18, 2013

Coffee, checkers & silver linings

I am often described as the "Perpetual Polly Anna". I always try to look for the positive in every situation.

You ask, "How could there be anything positive about a Pancreatic Cancer diagnosis?"
Well, I firmly believe there ARE worse things that could happen to me. I'm grateful it was me to get this diagnosis, rather than my son or my siblings. Really, I am glad it struck me vs. any of my loved ones. Seriously, no one is guaranteed a tomorrow. My older sister died at 5 in a motor vehicle accident and one of my best friends at 20 from an aviation accident. From my "Positive Polly Anna" perspective, I've been blessed with an additional 45 years than my sister and 30 more than my friend. What do I have to complain about? NOTHING!

So, here are the sliver linings:

  • Today I am 5 months post operative from the Whipple and I've recovered well
  • My CA19-9 was 270 & is down to 15 at 20 weeks post op (normal is: 0-37)
  • I've gained back most of my lost weight (good sign)
  • I've made some new friends who DO understand my journey
  • I have a family that loves & supports me
  • My son is the best thing ever!!! 
  • I'm still alive and am going to beat this! I have a story to tell!
  • My closest friendships are even stronger. I know what true friends do for you in a time of crises
Life can throw you a curve ball sometimes. It's how you play through adversity, I believe, that matters. I've learned to appreciate every little thing. Such as having coffee and playing checkers with my son. My best memories revolve around God's greatest gift to me, my son. Having a bigger house, nicer car or going on the finest vacations are insignificant when you are faced with your mortality. It is true that, in the end, it's your relationships that matter and not anything materialistic.

So, remember this: "Treasure your relationships, not your possessions."~Anthony J. D'Angelo

Quick update on my infusions:
Only 4 more to go, then comes the scan. If all remains on the positive path I am currently on, I will be returning to my uber fabulous job in September. Watch out competition, you're going to go down. If Pancreatic Cancer can't stop me, nobody can! My last infusion was pretty tough. I premedicated, but still had a couple of issues. I developed a fever and I continue to feel like I've been in the ring with Evander Holyfield for a couple of rounds. It takes until late Thursday before I feel somewhat human again. Thank goodness it's almost over. My exceptionally intelligent, thought leader in PC, Dr. Awesome believes I'll beat this and be around for a long time. Well, at least 5 years. That's the time frame they think about in Oncology. :) and I believe him. 

TBtoG! 
Princess out! <3



4 comments:

  1. You are awesome and just gave me extra strength to go get my 'mo on tomorrow! What day is your last infusion if all stays on schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you sweet! You are stronger than you know & an inspiration to me and many others! Aug. 19th, but as you know, it all depends on the bloodwork! My WBCs took a big hit from week 1 to week 2, this time. I'm hoping it's going to bounce back enough to get an infusion this next week, but there are no guarantees. Sept. 3rd would be the latest if my bloodwork doesn't cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I share the link to your blog on facebook? It's Lisa Lantz, btw.

    ReplyDelete