Tuesday, May 21, 2013

CA19-9 is DOWN! TBtoG


Infusion #8 and ALL day at Vanderbilt! 
Here's my latest update:
After being delayed by an overturned tractor trailer & detoured off I-65, I arrived at VICC yesterday for blood work, an appointment with my Oncology NP, infusion #8 AND an appointment with my Endocrinologist.

Bloodwork-check! All looked good for the infusion and we discussed black strap molasses (thank you, Tami O!) & my latest CA19-9 levels. I'm very fortunate & blessed to have the response to surgery & chemo that I've had. To have a level of 15, 12 weeks post operatively is miraculous. If all continues on this path, I fully expect to remain cancer free for many years.

I had not seen my Endo since my diagnosis. The look on her face was priceless. She read my chart prior to coming in to see me, obviously. On my first visit with her, I wasn't real crazy about her, but yesterday was a breakthrough. Her look showed true concern for me. She then shared that her father had PC. Like most, he was not diagnosed until stage 4 and sadly did not survive very long. We discussed my cancer and she, like other Doctors, commented, "You're doing better than any of my other patients who've been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer." To this, my only response is, "I'm blessed." We finally discussed my Hashimoto's & autoimmune issues and my blood sugars. I now have a monitor to check my blood sugar. She isn't concerned about them being too high, yet. She's more concerned about hypoglycemia. It appears, post hospital discharge, my blood sugars are a little low and she's concerned. I'm having blood work done next week to check my insulin levels. 

While in the infusion center, I met another PC survivor. A beautiful mother of 4, ages 5-10. Another survivor who does not fit the profile. This is what boggles my mind about the challenge she and I face. We don't fit the "profile" that physicians have been trained to believe would be a pancreatic cancer patient. On a previous blog I posted the risk factors. None of which my new friend or I fit. This is where I need the help of my friends. You see, this cancer does not discriminate. Anyone can get this. There are cases that range from an 8 year old boy; a 14 year old teenage boy; young, beautiful, vibrant 20something newlywed; 30something year old, healthy, athletic father; to 40something Moms. I need my friends to help raise awareness that this is NOT a cancer for old, diabetics, who are overweight, smoke and are mostly men. Yes, you're at higher risk if you're overweight & diabetic, but this cancer doesn't discriminate. We need more research dollars to find the answers as to why it's on the rise & why so many younger people are getting this horrible cancer.

I know I'm blessed to have caught my cancer in an earlier stage. I know I'm blessed to have an "easier" chemo regimen, than most. I can breathe a little easier with a CA19-9 of 15 and say, there is no evidence of disease. Yet, I feel guilty that I'm doing so well for a PC patient. Why am I responding so well to treatment and others are struggling? I wish I knew. I wish all my new friends who are PC survivors could be cancer free. I pray everyday for anyone facing the challenge of a cancer diagnosis. It's a club NO ONE wants to be in. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. 

As always, I'm grateful for the support & love!

I can breathe! 

2 comments:

  1. I believe "the profile" needs updating. We were told that it was more predominant in males. Most of the people I follow are female. Alyson, you are surviving because YOU my friend have been chosen by our creator to be the positive face of pancreatic cancer. It is a big load to carry, but you are the one who can do it. I believe God has a job/purpose for us all. You are blessed to know yours. You have my support, my voice, my admiration for the rest of my life. Anyone can jump out of a plane. It takes a miracle to beat and evil beast like you are. I am so blessed to have you as my friend. You are my motivation. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! The "profile" needs to be updated and beaten into Doctors heads in MEDICAL SCHOOL! Not later when they are in practice.
      I do believe it is Divine Purpose for me. I said this earlier to some friends, "The purple ribbon is used for Alzheimer's, which my mom died from; Epilepsy, which my son was diagnosed with at 6; and for Pancreatic Cancer. I suppose God is sending me a sign and it took a BIG sign for me to get it."
      I'm just a Mom fighting for more time. I've been blessed with a great life, great & loving friends. I have no regrets.
      I believe, with the help of so many of us touched by this cancer, we can make enough noise to get the recognition and funding that breast cancer and prostate cancer have received. We just have to keep beating our drums until we are heard. <3

      Delete