Thursday, May 16, 2013

Silver lining

I've always been the kind of girl that looks for the silver lining. Like many, I've had my challenges in life. Some are of my own doing and some are due to circumstance. From either way a challenge has been placed before me, I look for the silver lining. I've always told my son, "It's a dark cloud, but there is always a silver lining."

So, what has been my silver lining from this challenge? I've had many!

First silver lining: Well, for one, it's not my greatest challenge. That was when my son was diagnosed with Epilepsy. I can handle this. I'm grateful that it wasn't one of my loved ones or friends who had to hear this diagnosis.

Second silver lining: Vanderbilt! I know, you may be tired of hearing how fantastic Vanderbilt is and my amazing Oncology team, but they really are! I didn't have to travel to MD Anderson or Mayo to get one of the best Oncologists in Gastrointestinal Cancers, specifically in pancreatic cancer, in the country. Along with my amazing surgeon! It's because of my amazing team that I am beating the odds and will, in all probability, now live much longer than expected for a PC patient. I'm praying that all continues in a positive manner. My second CA19-9 came back at 15! 12 weeks post op at 15!! 5 weeks post op it was 17!! <38 is normal. From all indications, this means that because I chose Vanderbilt, my survivability just went up significantly. Let's continue to pray for more positive outcomes!

Third silver lining: The amazing friends I've made who are facing the same diagnosis or have had a loved one diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Yes, it is a horrible diagnosis. It's a club no one wants to be in, but what I've found is a close knit family-like system of support.

You see, even on a dark day, I can see a silver lining. My life has been blessed. I have no regrets.

Life is good & so is God. :)
Breath in that Oxygen!

1 comment:

  1. A series of misdiagnosis have allowed the spread of Charles's colon Cancer which has now spread to his liver and kidneys, We abruptly found out about his cancer on may 26th 2013, it is spreading as we speak we are looking to try something called cannabis oil possibly chemo therapy.
    This is a extremely hard and sad time for us, My father is the sole provider for his wife and 4 kids, twins 12 years, son 16years and daughter 13 years, he is now no longer able to work and is not only stressing about surviving but also how he will support his family and pay for alternative life saving treatments.
    This traumatic finding of cancer is extremely sad and stressful on our family; we are trying anything we can to get Charles healthy
    We have started the Phoenix Tears/cannabis oil Treatment partnered with Chemo Therapy and a major change in diet. The Phoenix tears is crucial to saving charles's life these treatments are 80$ per day over 2400$ per month.
    Any support you can contribute to help Charles & family make it through these tough time would be so appreciated.
    Thank you for your love and support!

    ReplyDelete