Wednesday, June 19, 2013

11 down, 7 to go

Well, the good news is: I've completed 11 gemcitabine infusions and only have 7 to go!

The not so good news is: yesterday was the worst infusion day to date. MUCH worse than last week. I'm not sure if it was anxiety or what, but prior to getting my labs, I was overcome with nausea and vomiting. First time ever for that to happen PRIOR to my infusion. It continued through the day. I still went through with my infusion, with a little prophylactic help of Tylenol and IV administration of Zofran and Ativan, plus extra fluids. Geez, it was a hard day and today, more of the same with the Gemzar headache.

TBtoG for my amazing Oncologist who checks on me. I was under the assumption that chemo gets easier as time moves forward. Unfortunately, that is not the case. He let me know that it will get harder.

Some additional news from yesterday is that, along with my rare hair loss with gemcitabine, I seem to have a knack for the rare side effects with this drug. From my blood work; and remember, everything relies on it, I now have "thrombocytosis". You ask, "What is thrombocytosis?" Well, it is where you have too many platelets and it can cause a little problem called a clot. Yea, kind of a big deal. I'm not going to lie to you. It freaks me out completely to worry about a heart attack, stroke or pulmonary embolism. NOT the way I want to go! So, I am Ms. Compliant with my aspirin therapy and super vigilant for any hint of a symptom pointing to a clot.

Still waiting on my genetic tests. So, I'll fill you in on that and we'll also have a little education on the CA19-9 and it's utilization as a diagnostic tool in pancreatic cancer.

Time for bed, as this Princess slept like the Princess and the Pea, last night!
Sweet dreams... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment