Saturday, August 10, 2013

Grandmothers & unconditional love

Friday, August 9th. Friday, February 9th...exactly 6 months from my diagnosis, my son lost his  grandmother to cancer.

Sadly, my son has to go through the pain of grieving his beloved Grandmother. Grandmother & Mimi. They were Kyle's biggest cheerleaders when he was whisked away to the NICU and every day thereafter. Grandparents are special, but there's something extra special about a grandmother.

I may have had my differences with my former Mother-in-law, but there was one thing that I absolutely respected and loved about her; She loved my son, her only grandchild, like nobody's business. She doted on him as if the world revolved around him. Her world DID revolve around him. She always had the best outfits for him, made sure he was perfectly clean and was especially loved. She was bound and determined to make sure he would call her, "Grandmother". Nothing else would do. The funny thing is, toddlers have difficulty saying certain words and for Kyle, "Grandmother" was one of those words. He couldn't quite get it. He tried, but it came out as, "Hammer". She worked diligently with him until he turned "Hammer" into "Grandmother".

Like my Neenie, Kyle's Grandmother was an excellent cook! She made the BEST cake and cinnamon candy! She could put any Southern chef to shame! I know that's where Kyle got his love for cooking because it surely didn't come from me! HA!

It's late and I wonder, "How do I help heal my son's broken heart from the loss of one of the women who have loved him unconditionally?" I realize, I can't. I know he understands that his Mimi, Grandmother and myself love him more than life. That's what great Moms & Grandmothers do.They put their kids & grandkids first. They are selfless & giving.

I hope Kyle feels the presence of his Grandmothers around him. That there is a never ending cloak of love covering him & this will somehow carry him through his grief.

I also hope that Mimi & Grandmother watch over Kyle and help guide & protect him.

There's nothing like a grandmothers love...rest in peace, Dorothy. Kyle loves you more than anything! You're his one and only, "Grandmother, aka Hammer"

No comments:

Post a Comment