Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Music


"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."~Ray Charles
This is one of my son's favorite quotes. Kyle was born with music inside of him. When he plays his guitars, my heart smiles.

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”~Bob Marley

This is so true. I feel no pain when I listen to music. I'm not worrying about dying, because I'm living when I listen to music. I live because music means memories. Memories of my youth as a kid growing up in Louisville. Music means memories of my teenage years in Knoxville. Memories of my college years: the bars, the concerts, the beach, Spring Break. Most importantly music means memories of my son. Music means living and loving. Music means guitars, guitar lessons, the band, the concerts, the memories, the love and free from pain.
I spent some time this weekend with a friend of mine in "Music City". Even though I once lived there and have frequently visited, Nashville, I had never been to the Country Music Hall of Fame, nor had I been to Studio B. Thank you, Nicole, for adding to my music memories. For a brief moment, I was no longer sick. I was reminiscing about my Mom & the romance she and my father had. I was reminiscing about the artists I've seen with my best friends, boyfriends and son over the years. Feeling grateful and feeling the love from all those memories and all the great music I've enjoyed.
I recently asked my friends to tell me a song that reminded them of me. I had 2 reasons for this. One was to play them as I receive my chemo. The second was to have a list for my memorial service. I want my memorial service to be fun and filled with music. I want everyone to know, my memory will forever be there in a song. 
"A song will outlive all sermons in the memory."~Henry Giles




No comments:

Post a Comment