Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chemo

This will be quick....

Taking a week off from chemo was a teaser! I mean, I wasn't supposed to really be around people & I was tired, but my appetite was great on my week off.

Monday, I returned to Vanderbilt for chemo infusion #3.
My blood work bounced back nicely, on it's own, another good sign for me. So, I was able to get my 3rd infusion! Only 15 more to go until another CA19-9 AND a CT scan to see if I have any tumors lurking in my body.

Now, back to chemo. Ugh, is all I can say. I know, others have chemo that is worse than this, but it still stinks. My reaction is pretty predictable. It goes something like this: I'm ok the day of the infusion. Maybe a little tired from the anti-emetic medication, but otherwise, I feel pretty good. It all starts to change about 12-24 hours post infusion. I completely lose my appetite, with a little nausea, headache, muscle aches, low grade temp...mostly flu-like symptoms. Now imagine, you're going to have to go through this for 2-4 days, every week, for 3 weeks, then you get one week off...for 6 months. No wonder I'm losing weight! I'm just about down to my college fighting weight of 110! In January I weighed 138. That's a lot of poundage for a vertically challenged girl of almost 5'4"! What do you do? Nope, no ice cream...I'm a vegan now...Dr says it's best for possibly keeping this cancer in remission. For however long that may be. I was told on Monday, IF there is "no evidence of disease" in 5 months/August, then I get to go into the "surveillance" program. Too bad it's not anything spy like/cool like the Witness Protection Program where I could change my name and live to the ripe old age of 88 on a tropical island! Nope, it's Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Centers program to keep me on a "very short leash", according to my medical professionals. Apparently since I was so fortunate to be diagnosed with one of the nastiest cancers with one of the most deplorable survival rates, I will become a permanent fixture at VICC, until my death. They are going to want to see me every 3 months, IF my blood work and scans remain clean. If not, I suppose I'll be there every week for an infusion to keep the cancer at bay and keep myself alive! I still have a lot of living to do!

Tomorrow, I'll talk about the grief. Grieving the life I had before Feb. 9, 2013. I loved my life up until Feb. 8, 2013. I still love my life, but it is forever changed.

As always, much love to everyone! Keep praying & I'm still chanting, "Die Cancer cells, DIE!!! You're not welcome here!" And as always, I'm putting my Oxygen mask on first.

No comments:

Post a Comment