Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Divine Intervention

So, here we are, after Easter. The highest of the Holy for Christians...of which I am.

It's been an interesting 2013, to say the least. Was it a coincindence that on the anniversary of my Mother's death, I was diagnosed with one of the most horrific cancers to have, pancreatic cancer? I don't believe so. I do believe in Divine intervention. It's too strange that 3 weeks prior to being admitted to the ER with acute liver failure & jaundice, then ultimately having a mass on my pancreas, all of my blood work was completely normal. Other than having a little indigestion, bloated and some stool changes, I was actually feeling pretty good.

How ironic that I was suddenly facing a life and death situation. I also believe it to be Divine intervention that I had made the acqaintance of my Oncologist when I lived in Nashville. It was through him that I was able to get surgery so quickly from a very highly qualified surgeon, who trained at MD Anderson, at Vanderbilt.

So should I take it as a coincindence or Divine intervention, that on Good Friday, the day Christ was tortured and crucified, in front of his mother, that I received some of the best news a pancreatic cancer patient could receive? I, once again, take it as Divine intervention. Because, on Good Friday, a day that has always mesmerized me, even as a child, but more so as a mother, I had a great day! I've always wondered what it was like to be Mary. I wonder what it must have been like for to see her only son being ridiculed, tortured and ultimately crucified. I know the love a mother has for her son. I've always felt such a loss for her, as a mother, to see the sacrifice her son was forced to endure for our salvation. As I was reflecting on my annual routine of Good Friday and wondering if I'll be there for my son, next year, I suddenly thought, "I have to check my email from Vanderbilt! I have to see if my CA19-9 blood work was reported!" It was there. I opened the email and to my sheer delight and gratitude, my CA19-9 has fallen to 17. To those of you unfamliar with the CA19-9, it is used as a tumor marker in pancreatic cancer. While it is not a great screening marker, it is utilized as a diagnostic marker to measure a patients response to treatment. The normal range is 0-38. Prior to my Whipple procedure and 2 infusion treatments of Gemzar, my CA19-9 was 270. So, here I am, for today, there is "no evidence of disease". Those are the terms the medical professionals use. I know it's early in my treatment, but I believe in Divine intervention. I believe my cancer was caught early for a reason on the anniversary of my Mother's death. I believe I found those results on Good Friday for a reason. I believe I will beat the odds of this awful cancer, unlike many of the brave warriors out there fighting as hard as me. I may not live to the ripe old age of 80 like my mother, but I believe I'll be in the 8% that survive pancreatic cancer at 5 years.

I have to believe...it's not going to be an easy road...but I believe in Divine intervention.

p.s. I'm still grieving the life I left behind on Feb. 8th & forgive me if I hurt your feelings...I'm learning to live again, with pancreatic cancer...it's my new reality. Next time I'll talk about my grieving process and what to say & not to say to a cancer patient. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment